Internship: The Practical Choice.
Finish Your Degree with a New Sense of Professionalism!
Businesses seek job candidates who have successfully demonstrated a practical knowledge of work and skills relevant to their chosen career field. The Internships better prepares upper-division business administration students for entry into the highly competitive job market of the 21st Century, by providing qualified students the opportunity to:
- work with and learn from a dedicated mentor
- gain valuable work experience related to academic or vocational interests
- establish professional contacts and references
- demonstrate initiative and build self-confidence
- learn and practice work skills and behaviors in a supervised work setting
- make a contribution to a business or service organization in the community
- earn up to six hours of upper-division business elective credit
So, are you ready?
See the following checklist of requirements for registration in BUS 400 Internship (3), the UH Hilo College of Business and Economics credit-bearing internship course:
- Junior or Senior standing in the UH Hilo BBA program or, if a transfer student, completion of a minimum 15 semester hours of coursework at UH Hilo
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher
- FIN 320 Prin Bus Finance (3), MGT 300 Mgt, Orgs & Human Behavior (3), MKT 310 Princ of Marketing (3), and QBA 362 Mgt Information Systems (3), each with a C or better grade
- Consent of your academic advisor and Internship Coordinator
Note: BUS 400 Internship (3) may be repeated for a total of six credits, but academic credit is awarded only for new work experiences. Previous work experience or military service is not creditable.
All of the following businesses or community organizations have sponsored one or more internship assignments since the program's inception in 1999:
- Big Island Candies
- East Hawaii Cultural Center
- Four Seasons Resort at Hualalai
- GTE Hawaiian Telephone
- Hawaii Federal & State Employees' Credit Union
- Hawaii Island Chamber of Commerce
- Hawaii Island Economic Development Board
- Hawaii Small Business Development Center
- Hilo Brokers
- Integrated Technology Group
- Merrill Lynch
- Uncle Billy's Resort Hotels
Stop by the UH Hilo College of Business and Economics Office or contact the Internship Coordinator: Dr. Thomas DeWitt, (808) 932-7245, tsdewitt[at]hawaii.edu.