Dr. Jerry Calton, Professor of Management
Jerry Calton, Ph.D.
College of Business and Economics
Phone: (808) 932-7247
Location: CoBE building
- Ph.D., Business & Society, University of Washington, 1986
- Ph.D., History, University of Washington, 1970
- M.A., History, University of Washington, 1966
- B.A., History, University of Washington, 1964
- Business/Ethics/Business & Society
- International Management
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Sustainable Management
- Multi-stakeholder dialogue as a trust building process in network governance
- Chaos theory, systems thinking, and emergent, co-creative learning processes
- Social contracting as a constructivists approach to ethical decision-making
- Social entrepreneurship and new leadership paradigms at the base of the global development pyramid
Referred Journal Articles
- Calton, J.M., Werhane, P., Hartman, L., & Bevan, D. (2013) "Building Partnerships to Create Social and Economic Value at the Base of the Global Development Pyramid." Journal of Business Ethics
- Burke, K. & Calton, J.M., (2009) "A Framework for Describing the Relationships Among Social Technologies and Social Capital Formation in Electronic Entrepreneurial Networking." International Journal of E-Collaboration, 5(3), pp. 25-38.
- Calton, J.M., (2006) "Social Contracting in a Pluralist Process of Moral Sense Making: A Dialogic Twist on the ISCT." Journal of Business Ethics, 68: 329-346.
- Calton, J.M. & Payne, S.L., (2003) "Coping with Paradox: Multi-stakeholder Learning Dialogue as a Pluralist Sense Making Process for Addressing Messy Problems." Business & Society, 42(1), pp. 7-42.
- Calton, J.M., (2013) "Can Wal-Mart Rise to a Transformational Challenge in China?" In Pauline Albert, Patricia Werhane & Tim Rolph (Eds) Global Poverty Alleviation: A Case Book (The International Society of Business, Economics, and Ethics Book Series; Springer Science-Business Media B.V. Dordrecht)
- Calton, J.M., (2013) "NAFTA and the Food and Agricultural Sectors," In Paul Thompson & David Kaplan (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Food and Agricultural Ethics. Springer Reference.
- Calton, J.M., (2008) Payne, S.L., & Waddoc, S. "Learning to Teach Ethics From the Heart" IN Diane Swanson & Dann Fisher, Advancing Business Ethics Education in the 21st Century. Information Age.
Highlights of professional service
- Program Chair for International Association for Business & Society (IABS) annual conference in Kailua-Kona (1998)
- IABS President (1999)
- Co-Chair of Local Arrangements Committee for Academy of Management National Meeting in Honolulu, HI (2005)
- Book Review Editor for Journal of Corporate Citizenship (2002-2009)
- Ongoing reviewer for Business & Society, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Corporate Citizenship
- Contributing Editor to Encyclopedia for Business Ethics & Society, Robert B. Kolb, General Editor. Sage Publications. This involved editing over 36 submissions and writing five contributions to this series. (2007-2008)
- Interim Chair of UH Hilo Faculty Congress (2003-2004)
- Chair of UH Hilo Faculty Congress (2004-2005)
- Member, UH Hilo Graduate Council (2005-2011)
- Director, UH Hilo Honors Program (1998-2001)
- Elected as IABS Fellow in recognition of my research and leadership contribution to the field of Business Ethics/Business & Society (2004)