The College of Business and Economics Student Code of Professionalism
Our code of professionalism was developed in tandem with CoBE student leadership and approved by the CoBE Faculty Senate on February 25, 2019.
The College of Business and Economics is committed to instilling a sense of professionalism and forming productive, lifelong connections among current and former students. Accordingly, students in the College of Business and Economics hold themselves to the highest standards of honor and professionalism. CoBE students are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful towards all individuals (fellow students, faculty, staff, internship site personnel, community members, etc.) in all settings (on campus and in the community), involved in their education and training.
As a COBE Student
As a student in the College of Business and Economics, I agree to present myself in a professional manner at all times, inside and outside the classroom, and engage in conduct appropriate to a business professional
In the Community
At internship, field trip, or other external sites, I agree to:
- Arrive on time, every time.
- Wear appropriate attire: this includes aloha business, business casual, or formal business attire, depending on the situation. This applies to all professional activities and events.
- Treat all individuals with respect, regardless of rank or status.
- Leave cell phones and other digital distractions out of sight and on vibrate or silent.
In the Classroom
In the classroom I agree to engage in professional conduct, which includes but is not explicitly limited to the following:
- Arrive on time to each class, lab or exam. I recognize that being punctual is a valuable lesson and habit to maintain. Punctuality demonstrates that I am considerate of my own schedule and the schedule of others.
- Only leave the classroom when absolutely necessary. For example, if I need to use the restroom and cannot wait until class is over, have an important phone call, or another similar situation.
- Always ask the instructor or exam proctor for explicit permission in the event that I need to leave the classroom during a quiz or examination.
- Avoid personal conversations and distracting activities during lectures and presentations.
- Keep my full attention on the classroom activity, and avoid other activities such as browsing the internet, playing video games, personal electronic communications, etc.
- Leave my cellular phone switched off or on vibrate while attending class activities unless explicitly asked to do otherwise by the instructor.
- Contribute to group activities and projects to the extent that I expect other members of the group to contribute.
On campus I agree to:
- Treat the UH facilities and equipment, parking areas, classrooms, student lounge, break-out rooms, restrooms, patio area, etc. with respect and care. I understand that facilities and equipment are shared and must be treated accordingly.
- Clean up after myself in common areas and leave shared spaces and resources no worse than I found them, and preferably better.
In sum, I recognize that my behavior inside and outside the classroom affects how the public perceives our college and our alumni. I agree to behave in a way that honors my peers, CoBE, and affiliated organizations, sites, and stakeholders, and that reflects well upon me as a member and representative of CoBE.